Re: magicfilter and /etc

On Fri, May 15, 1998 at 12:55:46AM +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> On Sat, May 09, 1998 at 09:03:53PM +0200, David Frey wrote:
>
> > You, Susan, wanted to have the scripts unpacked, instead
> > of having a tarfile. This naturally means that they are
> > conffiles too, since they might be changed by the user
> > (and usually will).
>
> >   * made all the magicfilter scripts conffiles (Fixes Bug
> >   #4834, but wastes space)
>
> Well, just to put some more confusion into this
> discussion: I think that these magicfilter scripts (and
> most of their source code) should be considered sample
> material and go to /usr/doc.  The xh files should go
> somewhere in /usr/lib (similar to /usr/lib/sendmail.cf
> from the sendmail package), and /usr/doc should have some
> explanations for the user on how to build their own
> filters. These filters clearly are a _script_ in the
> "language" magicfilter, and should IMHO go to some place
> under /usr/local.

I disagree; they are not "examples", but actual data: there is an utility
"magicfilterconfig" which edit /etc/printcap to point to the selected filter.

Previous version used to have all those files in a tarball under /usr/doc

My suggestion was (and still is) to put the tarball (which is "archived data")
into /usr/lib/ and to have magicfilterconfig extract the selected filter and
install it in /etc/magicfilter (and adapt /etc/printcap)
In this way you don't need to have them marked conffiles and you don't waste
space in /etc.

fab