Re: What compiler should be used? (cc, gcc, egcc, c++, g++, eg++)

On Thu, May 14, 1998 at 05:04:18PM +0200, Brederlow wrote:
> What does the policy say about the default system compiler?
>
> I always though that the default should be cc and c++.
> While compiling I saw far to many packages not using those at all. To
> name one, apt uses CC=egcc and CXX=g++. The first should be killed and
> the second one should be c++ I think. (or is there any c source in
> apt?)

If the package does anything compiler-specific (eg compiler flags)
then it should specify which compiler it wants, imho. If not, cc/c++
would be fine, but a lot of upstream software (especially using autoconf)
uses gcc anyway and it's not worth changing it, since we have only
Debian GNU/Linux so far.

Hamish