How to fix a broken postrm in upcoming releases

I wonder if somebody has a suggestion for this:

The postrm scripts of bo's python packages (1.4.0-4) are broken: In order
to remove byte-compiled files created during postinst, they call a script
/usr/lib/python1.4/compileall.py. Works fine as long as the upgrade
package still installs this file, but now that we're at python 1.5,
compileall.py won't be in /usr/lib/python1.4 anymore.

My current solution is to re-install the old
/usr/lib/python1.4/compileall.py with the new 1.5 packages. An alternative
solution would be to create a postrm for the new package that is called
after the failure of the old postrm. The current python packages don't
need a postrm anymore, only postinst and prerm.

That brings up another question regarding the policy:

Now how far goes my responsibility for providing a safe upgrade path from
a broken package ? Do I have to care for that postrm problem in all
future versions, so that even in two years it will be safe to upgrade from
the broken bo version to the current version ? Or could I remove that
hack for the package in 2.1, when the upgrade 2.0->2.1 is working ?

	Gregor