How to deal with the conflict between g++272 and libstdc++28-dev ?

[background: g++272 Recommends: libg++272-dev . It does not work with
libstdc++28-dev]

On Wed, May 13, 1998 at 12:37:54AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> > You need to have libg++272-dev installed; the iostream.h you're now
> > using is from libstdc++28-dev, which isn't for use with g++272.
> >
> > libstdc++28-dev and libg++272-dev conflict, so you may have to switch
> > between packages, but there's not much I can do about that currently.
>
> Would it make any sense for g++272 to conflict with libstdc++28-dev? (With
> the rationalle that it doesn't work with it.)

All the language foo compiler -> language foo standard library -dev version
dependencies are "Recommends:", rather than "Depends". I don't know the
rationale behind this for sure, but I guess it's because in principle, you
can compile foo programs without the foo standard library.

Following that line of reasoning, g++272 doesn't actually conflict with
libstdc++28-dev.

I understand why you'd want this, but if I understand dselect's behaviour
correctly, it should give you a "conflicts" screen when selecting g++272 on
a system that has libstdc++28-dev installed (because of the Recommends:
libg++272 which Provides; and Conflicts: libg++272-dev). If you override
it's suggestions, you can expect problems.

So I'm still undecided on what to do; the options (AFAICT) are
- leave the behaviour as is
- add g++272 Conflicts: libstdc++28-dev
- strengthen g++ Recommends: libg++272-dev to Depends:

Opinions please.

Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may
jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl      | not be a better one than the one the blocks