rsync daemon -- experimental package

Hi,

I've just uploaded rsync_1.7.4-1.1998may12.alpha_i386.deb

This version has a --daemon option that allows it to be run from inetd, or as
a stand alone daemon.  It is unreleased code from the rsync CVS tree, but it
seems to work for me.

The brave among you may want to try it out for mirroring using anonymous rsync.

I am currently publishing my Debian mirror on open.hands.com

You need to install the above package to access this sort of rsync server
(previous clients don't understand), at which point you can use rsync thus:

  rsync -av open.hands.com::debian/ /my_mirror/debian

which would grab a complete copy of my mirror onto you local disk.  All the
normal rsync options work as usual, so you probably want to do this with
--dry-run the first time you try it.

Once some level of confidence about this code is established, I would suggest
that as many of our servers as possible use it, since rsync is much more
efficient than mirror in terms of bandwidth use (although the rsync -daemon
may be a little resource intensive for prime time use at present -- it can
grab a lot of memory when building the file list).

Cheers, Phil.