Re: Intent to package rar

> On Mon, May 11 1998, Petr Cech wrote:
> | 	Hello,
> | is anybody working on packaging of rar? It's an archive program from
> | a Russian programmer Eugene Roshal. It's shareware (so non-free) programm
> | with binaries available for dos, Windows(3.x,95) - both text and graphic mode,
> | Linux, BSD,HP,SCO,Amiga,OS/2 & Sparc.
> | 	Avaiting comments

	Hi,
> I found a source-code package for unrar 2.01 (not the latest version) a
> few months ago: you can find it yourself on FTPSearch as 'unrar201.tgz'.
> It claims to be freeware, but does not allow distribution of modified
and yes, the source for unrar is included in rar distribution (search for
rarlinux.sfx)
> sources. I was considering asking the author to allow portability/bug
> patches, but I've since decided I didn't really care enough about unrar
> to bother. If you're interested, I strongly suggest persuing that, as
and yes, distribution in unmodified form only :((
> having a source-based package means we can do more about any bugs
> present.
>
> BTW, do they have a Linux version compiled against libc6 (a.k.a.
> glibc2)?
No, at least I haven't found one. I try to contact the author and make him
package the files in .tar.gz (unmodified dist. files :)) and allow patches for
unrar. If I could made him do a libc6 compile, it would be great.
	Can anybody give me some advice on how to do it? For whom should I
speak, what to request (repackage it, patches, change licence?).

	Many thanks for suggestions

				Petr Cech
--
 /    mailto: cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz    \