Re: Intent to package rar

On Mon, May 11 1998, Petr Cech wrote:
| 	Hello,
| is anybody working on packaging of rar? It's an archive program from
| a Russian programmer Eugene Roshal. It's shareware (so non-free) programm
| with binaries available for dos, Windows(3.x,95) - both text and graphic mode,
| Linux, BSD,HP,SCO,Amiga,OS/2 & Sparc.
| 	Avaiting comments

I found a source-code package for unrar 2.01 (not the latest version) a
few months ago: you can find it yourself on FTPSearch as 'unrar201.tgz'.
It claims to be freeware, but does not allow distribution of modified
sources. I was considering asking the author to allow portability/bug
patches, but I've since decided I didn't really care enough about unrar
to bother. If you're interested, I strongly suggest persuing that, as
having a source-based package means we can do more about any bugs
present.

BTW, do they have a Linux version compiled against libc6 (a.k.a.
glibc2)?

Here is a copy of the unRAR source license, for reference:

 ******    *****   ******   unRAR - free utility for RAR archives
 **   **  **   **  **   **  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 ******   *******  ******    License for use and distribution of
 **   **  **   **  **   **   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 **   **  **   **  **   **         FREE portable version
                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      The source code of unRAR utility is freeware. This means:

   1. All copyrights to RAR and the utility unRAR are exclusively
      owned by the author - Eugene Roshal.

   2. Anyone may use the utility unRAR and it's source code to handle
      archive files created with the RAR archiver without limitations.

   3. The unRAR utility may be freely distributed, provided the
      distribution package is not modified.  No person or company
      may charge a fee for the distribution of unRAR without written
      permission from the copyright holder.

   4. THE RAR ARCHIVER AND THE UNRAR UTILITY ARE DISTRIBUTED "AS IS".
      NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND IS EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED.  YOU USE AT
      YOUR OWN RISK. THE AUTHOR WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DATA LOSS,
      DAMAGES, LOSS OF PROFITS OR ANY OTHER KIND OF LOSS WHILE USING
      OR MISUSING THIS SOFTWARE.

   5. Installing and using the unRAR utility signifies acceptance of
      these terms and conditions of the license.

   6. If you don't agree with terms of the license you must remove
      unRAR files from your storage devices and cease to use the
      utility.

      Thank you for your interest in RAR and unRAR.

                                            Eugene Roshal

Cheers,

--
       Dennis Clark       dbugger@debian.org       PGP/MIME spoken here
Today's entry from the Jargon File:

      IYFEG //  [Usenet] Abbreviation for `Insert Your Favorite
         Ethnic Group'.  Used as a meta-name when telling ethnic jokes on
         the net to avoid offending anyone.  See {JEDR}.