Re: bo updates

On Thu, May 07, 1998 at 10:15:57AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> I seem to remember that the packages in bo used to be updated for major
> bugs (like security problems.) It seems like now such packages are only
> in bo-updates, not in bo itself, which means that they don't show up in
> the Packages list. An example is the bind fix that was put in
> bo-updates a couple of weeks ago. Is there some way of automatically
> getting such updates using dselect that I'm not aware of? I always
> thought that the ability to pull up dselect and see all the updates was
> one of debian's major strengths.

It's true that the stable release will only get updated concerning
major bugs or security problems.  Packages that are to go into stable
have to be uploaded to bo-updates and tested by the testing team.
If they confirm them they're moved into bo and a new release is signed.

This has not been done for a while due to missing people who were
testing the packages.  The people testing packages nowardays often
don't have a stable machine around and are testing our upcoming
release of 2.0.

Anyway, the security officers of Debian were worried about this,
too.  They were still encouraging and making security fixing
uploads into stable.  They also have a stable box on the net
were packages are compiled and tested.  One of them has signed
up for testing the packages from bo-updates (and parts of
bo-unstable) for inclusion in Debian GNU/Linux 1.3.1r7.

Please contact Christian Hudon <chrish@debian.org> if you want to
make comments or help.  He is investigating the packages.

Using dselect you're only able to get packages that are noted
in the Packages file.  Concerning bo-updates and bo-unstable you
need to install the packages manually:

	dpkg -i pkg.deb [pkg.deb [pkg.deb [...]]

Regards,

	Joey
	(one security officer of Debian)

 /                              No question is too silly to ask, /
/   but, of course, some are too silly to answer.  -- perl book /