Configuration of teTeX broken (send once more due to list problems)

Sorry, I've got no messages from the list since yesterday.  Is the
list alive?  So I send my message from yesterday once more and hope that
now all is right.

Hello,

I have installed tetex-base_0.9-5 and the other related teTeX packages
dpkg --status tetex-base says:

Package: tetex-base
Section: tex
Installed-Size: 15898
Maintainer: Christoph Martin <christoph.martin@uni-mainz.de>
Version: 0.9-5
Replaces: texinfo, texidoc, bibtex, texpsfnt, mfbasfnt, xdvik, dvipsk, mfnfss, latex, babel, texlib, mflib, textfm, kpathsea, latex2e-doc, ltxgraph, tetex-extra, tetex-doc
Depends: tetex-bin (>= 0.9-1)
Pre-Depends: dpkg-perl
Recommends: tetex-nonfree
Conffiles:
 /etc/texmf/XDvi b3c84872095f944d4fdaa6b810c1f72b
 /etc/texmf/dvips/config.ams 32978f814ef9354d55042c38995976a6
 /etc/texmf/dvips/config.amz bef5a8a0ebcd9ea3b3ca5ca4628e4285
 /etc/texmf/dvips/config.cm 62d1394ef3c3eb95c242ea1ac70f9363
 /etc/texmf/dvips/config.cmz 9de754839ee6eb014c9e4f0a5868da24
 /etc/texmf/dvips/config.ps 2ec77d6175cc5a33cb981d0c7cecc447
 /etc/texmf/dvips/config.dfaxhigh 4b3d24e544b98cb95a86b66b239e1ac1
 /etc/texmf/dvips/config.dfaxlo 0dfd4985380fbe28bdfc0e5ae70f84e2
 /etc/texmf/dvips/config.www 951905793fcd94d8fe183448430e79a2
 /etc/texmf/modes.mf 8985161376dc78ed599e0eb5c7265b31
 /etc/texmf/language.dat 5574f39628eae6b68ac46415303c4da0
 teTeX (version 0.9) is a TeX distribution for UNIX compatible
 systems.
 .
 Together with tetex-bin you have a minimal installation
 .
 Includes: texlib, latex, mflib, mfbasfnt, bibtex, textfm

I think there are several problems:

1) As the Conffiles part shows there is no
      /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf            and
      /etc/texmf/maketex.site
   as it was the case in former teTeX packages of the 0.4 release.

   I consider it to be in contrast with the usual way of Debian to store
   configuration files into /etc or subdirectories.

   The files now reside in
      /usr/lib/tetex/web2c/texmf.cnf      and
      /usr/lib/tetex/web2c/mktex.cnf
   (use `kpsewhich texmf.cnf mktex.cnf` to verify this fact!)
   Actually when using `texconfig` these files were changed which
   is bad when mounted /usr readonly.
   In my opinion this should be changed before hamm goes to stable.
   (Sorry, I don't know if it is considered as bug.  If so I should
   write an official bug-report, but may be the teTeX maintainer
   reads this thread.)

2) It's very strange that setting the seach variables in the way it worked
   under teTeX 0.4 won't work under 0.9.
   I set up in /usr/lib/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf the following

% The main tree, which must be mentioned in $TEXMF, below:
TEXMFMAIN = /usr/lib/texmf

% A place for local additions to a "standard" texmf tree.  For example:
TEXMFLOCAL = /usr/local/lib/texmf

% Now, list all the texmf trees. If you have multiple trees,
% use shell brace notation, like this:
TEXMF = {!!$TEXMFLOCAL:!!$TEXMFMAIN}

VARTEXFONTS  = /var/spool/texmf

TEXMFDBS = $TEXMFLOCAL:$TEXMFMAIN:$VARTEXFONTS
SYSTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL:$TEXMFMAIN

   But files in /usr/local/lib/texmf were not found!!!
   `kpsewhich <any_file_from_/usr/local/lib/texmf/> fails!!
   That's boring and took me several hours editing the config file.

   Now I'm using the workaround:

        ln -s /usr/local/lib/texmf /usr/lib/texmf/local
	ln -s /usr/lib/texmf/local/tex /usr/lib/texmf/tex/local
   to get it work.  But this is *not* the sense of the configuration
   file, thought.

   Despite the ugly not working configuration file the additional
   drawback of this workaround is that you can not say which tree
   is searched first.  If there are two style files with the same
   name in /usr/lib/texmf/tex and /usr/local/lib/texmf/tex TeX uses
   *any* of them and not the one in $TEXMFLOCAL which should be used
   according to the config file.

3) When using the workaround under 2) make sure that you do

     ln -s /usr/lib/texmf/local/mf /usr/lib/texmf/fonts/source/local

   AND NOT

     ln -s /usr/lib/texmf/local/mf /usr/lib/texmf/metafont/local

   In the latter case, which I've done first, any local font (*.tfm,
   *pk) file will be stored in "." which is really boring!

4) The workaround does work only if you do `texhash` after linking
   the local tree into the appropriate directory.  If I understood
   kpathseach right at first the TeX looks into the ls-R databases.
   If that fails TeX searches the filesystem "manually" in the
   appropriate directories.  So the files in the local tree should
   be found whether texhash has rebuild the databases or not.

   This is importand for users which want to install private
   styles but hav't write permissions to the ls-R database.

5) Am I the first who has this trouble????
   This is a real question, because I wonder why I'm busy for hours
   making my teTeX working.  This was the first time since years
   using several TeX distributions and I never expected such
   trouble with the very fine teTeX and the "ever-working" ;-)
   Debian system.

Kind regards

       Andreas Tille.