Re: PROPOSAL: Services, inetd and xinetd

Peter> The main configuration file is /etc/inetd.conf. If xinetd is
Peter> installed the first time it should create /etc/xinetd.conf
Peter> based on the current /etc/inetd.conf. If you install a package
Peter> that adds an entry to /etc/inetd.conf using update-inetd (which
Peter> uses DebianNet.pm) and /etc/xinetd.conf is present either
Peter> update-inetd should add this entry or it should call a
Peter> different update-xinetd tool. The former xinetd maintainer said
Peter> that he'll write the necessary functions for DebianNet.pm but I
Peter> never got them so I can't add them to DebianNet.pm.

        The problem I see with this issue [which otherwise is quite
nice] is we cannot take advantage of some xinetd nice features without
having to directly deal with it [and what I don't really like is to
modify files directly].

Peter> If somebody writes these functions (or a seperate
Peter> update-xinetd) I would be happy to change
Peter> update-inetd/DebianNet.pm to use them.

        As soon as I have some more spare time [by exams end, on mid
June], I'll start to write the code to do this efficiently and well
documented.

>> update-services [update /etc/services]

Peter> Normal packages are not allowed to modify /etc/services (it's a
Peter> conffile of netbase) for a couple of reasons. /etc/services is
Peter> a static file which contains a standard set of service names
Peter> ...

        I wasn't talking of modifying, but adding the capability to
add new [not-as-standard-as-we-thought] services. Of course the
already defined ones would have to exist [that's what the
/etc/services.d/services.in file was for, an skeleton]. I'll have to
also polish this proposal some more.

        Thanks for your comments!

          Linux-USB! http://peloncho.fis.ucm.es/~inaky/USB.html -
                                                                -
                Inaky Perez Gonzalez --  PGP pubkey fingerprint -
           inaky@peloncho.fis.ucm.es -- 8E 34 3A 62 64 99 E2 44 -
   http://peloncho.fis.ucm.es/~inaky -- AD 7B 30 D9 DD FF 3E 4C -