Re: The early days of Debian (was Re: ideas underlying policy)

You may find the first section of the Introduction to "The Debian Linux
User's Guide" (found at www.linuxpress.com) of some interest. It is titled
History, and was, for the most part, written by Ian Murdoch, so you can
trust its accuracy. ;-)

Luck,

On Tue, 5 May 1998 jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:

> On Tue, May 05, 1998 at 12:10:54AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > 	Actually, when Debian was formed it had only one developer,
> >  and no one could contribute packages, since that would have diluted
> >  the distributions tight integration. This bazaar thing has evolved.
>
> I remember Debian 0.04. Basically, it was what we'd nowadays term "base +
> bootfloppies" - an minimalistic base system on which to build the
> distribution. Even then, mailing lists were central to development, and
> development was a group effort.
>
> On Tue, May 05, 1998 at 08:41:03AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > My memory doesn't extend back that far, nor have I found any documentation
> > on that period.
>
> I don't think there is much documentation of that period; the Debian mailing
> list was actually a "Debian channel" on the Linux Activists server run by
> arl. It wasn't officially archived.
>
> > I presume you're talking about Ian Murdock's original plans, in some
> > sense.  Can you elaborate a bit on what those original plans were, and why
> > they changed to the present (GNU style) form?
>
> The original plans are laid down in the Debian Manifesto (doc-debian:
> /usr/doc/debian/debian-manifesto).
>
> Ray
> --
> Tevens ben ik van mening dat Nederland overdekt dient te worden.
>

> --

Dwarf