Re: ppp: how to tell the connection speed?

Bob Hilliard writes:
> With my ZOOM modem, ATX4 reports all responses, but the manual
> isn't clear if it means DCE (modem-modem) speed or DTE
> (computer-modem) speed.

With my no-name modem ATX4 gives only DTE in the 'CONNECT' string.

> I blieve DTE is the most commonly reported value.  ATW0 reports DTE speed
> only; ATW1 reports DCE speed, error correction protocol and DTE speed;
> ATW2 reports DCE speed only.

Right (but I've got a modem manual that gets W2 and W1 backwards).  ATW2 is
what you need to get the modem to modem speed reported in the 'CONNECT'
string.

> Note the above log fragment.  My ZOOM modem reports Carrier <speed>
> before it reports the CONNECT.

The guy I'm corresponding with sees *only* 'CARRIER <speed>'.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)