Re: Coming to closure on ae...

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> > 	ln -s '/bin/ae -f /etc/aex.rc' xae
> >
> > and, while it seemed to build the link I desired (it looks good with ls
> > -l) when I try to execute xae, bash tells me the file is not found.
> >
> > Any idea what I am doing wrong?
>
> That's only going to work if you have a directory in /bin named 'ae -f ',
> which has a file named 'aex.rc' in its etc subdirectory.
>
> Basically, nothing cares what a symlink says, except that it be
> a valid reference to a file.

I had heard somewhere that I could make a symlink that called the file
with parameters. I take it from your comments above that this is not true?
>From your comments it sounds like bash is reporting the file not found for
xae, but the file it can't find is '/bin/ae -f /etc/aex.rc'?

I can do the same thing in a shell script, but this looked simpler and
easier to manage...oh well ;-)

Thanks,

Dwarf