Re: Intent to package pine-src

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> > As to source dependency problems, it is my understanding that all the
> > packages in the main distribution can be built using only packages from
> > main.
>
> That's a lot of packages.  I've used .deb packages which include source on
> little dinky machines with only a couple hundred meg of hard drive.

What is your point? The .deb packaging of source doesn't deal with source
dependencies any better than the current source package.

> > Given that that doesn't tell you which packages those are, and that
> > a "standard" installation is supposed to give you "all the normal stuff"
> > it should be sufficient to name non-standard dependencies in the source
> > README file.
>
> This is supposed to be an improvement over putting the source in a
> .deb file?  [Which, I remind you, can be taken apart using standard
> unix tools, and which can also be supported through a README file.]

This was a description of what might be done with what we have.

> > There is no current declared method for this, and that makes
> > implimentation difficult, specially when most developers have what
> > they need for their packages and don't typically think about the
> > problem any further than that.
>
> Please don't blame the developers for not using a system which hasn't
> been designed or implemented.  That sort of thing is unecessarily
> dogmatic.

I don't know where you got this from. I was under the impression that I
was discusing what might be done with the current source package format. I
see no blame intended in what I wrote. Why must all discusions of this
type necessarily degenerate into name calling?

Luck,

Dwarf