Re: A few questions

A tarball as I understand it is very simple...
it is a directry structure tht has been tard and then gzipped
if you look around...you will find most source coes comes in "tarball" format...
and I believe slackware uses "tarball" for binary distributions
now if we only had a featherball....
as for the RPM and dpkg on source packages...
you can really think of an SRPM (source RPM) as a debian.orrig.tar.gz debian.dsc
and debian.diff.gz al rolled into one file
if you use dpkg-source on the dsc file...
it will unpackge th eoriginal source ("Pristine Source") then apply the
patch to make it "debianized"
then from there it can be built with dpkg-buildpackage
and it makes a nice neat deb (I thing there is another way...in fact
this makes more than a deb...it also remakes the .dsc file and other
stuff...)
-Steve

Kenneth.Scharf@coulter.com wrote:

> A few questions from a possible future contributor (so please turn down the
> flame throwers as I mean well)
>
> I've seen the term mentioned here many times, I've looked in the docs but
> can't find the meaning (so it must be slang). What is a tarball?
>
> On the thread of .deb vs .rpm.... From Maximum RPM I see that rpm will
> actually build the package from original sources ie: apply patches to the
> source, then build from your makefile the binaries, and make the .rpm
> package file.  I get the idea that dpkg should do the same, right?  (Or is
> it not quite as automated?)  Sorry but Redhat's book is better written than
> dpkg documentation.  Maybe that's why Bruce wanted to use rpm?
>
> Other than one is free and the other is not quite... what are the tradeoffs
> between Qt and Gtk?  (I'm slightly leaning toward Gtk right now).
>
> Thanks.
>
> --

I am back to nothing worthwhile of a SIG again
if you want my pgp key though check out:
http://www.gis.net/~sjc/pgp.asc
(BTW Thanx allot Noah for pointing out why putting my pgp key here was
a bad idea...now I hafta find a new funny quote or something for here)