Re: Gnome debs?

davidw@gate.cks.com (David Welton) writes:

> Does anyone know what the status of debian+gnome is?  Is anyone
> working on this?

I follow the development to some degree because of interest for a
gnomeified Midnight Commander. Actually "gmc" already builds and runs
nicely, although it's still not really fit for real useage.  Anyway,
the gnome people seem to be progressing rather fast and i believe that
our money is well spent. :-)

> If they haven't already spent the money we donated
> to them, could we ask that a small piece of it go towards having
> someone spend the time to make it so that deb's are generated
> automatically as well as rpm's?

The .spec files are obviously made by Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com>, so
this is obviously not taken care of by the core developers.  I've set
up the CVS tree and have added my own crude ./debian subdirectories to
build .deb packages and sometimes it even works. ;-)

> I would like to take a peek at some
> of the development going on, and maybe have a crack at fixing things
> here and there... do the rpm's install well with alien?

No idea, i only use selfmade native .deb files.  Check out the CVS
tree as described somewhere on www.gnome.org and use "deb-make" to
make the necessary first debianization of the original sources. All
needed to make package building run okay is some minor manual tweaking
of a few details in "debian/rules".
                                    Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> -----------