Re: /tmp exploits

On Mon, Apr 20, 1998 at 01:20:10PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> We should modify our libc so that opening a file in /tmp or /var/tmp -
> determined by simple string comparison of the filename passed to
> open(2) - fails if O_CREAT is specified without O_EXCL.

This should only be files directly under /tmp or /var/tmp, not in
subdirectories, right? (otherwise using mkdir /tmp/prog.$$ instead of
just >/tmp/prog.$$ doesn't fix the /tmp security holes).

This also would make most uses of tar and similar in /tmp and /var/tmp
work okay, I believe.

Yes?

Cheers,
aj

      ``It's not a vision, or a fear. It's just a thought.''