Re: on forming a new Linux Distribution

Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:

> >   2 - They seem to lack a well formed index file, I couldn't find any
> >       rpm index on their ftp site.

> Presumably, this could also be addressed by work.  [Since it's not
> specific to the rpm format, but the rpm site.]

There is an index file in the installation tree (RedHat/base/hdlist),
and a program to generate it.  The file format is concatenated
headers, which is very easy to load into librpm for dependency
processing, etc.

This format could also easily be used for contrib trees, etc. And it
is much cheaper to generate than the Debian "Packages" files currently
are. (Last I checked, this required a md5sum of every package.)

But this should be discussed on rpm-list, not debian-devel.

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu