Re: New Linux distribution

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998 Kenneth.Scharf@coulter.com wrote:

>       I have installed debian 1.3.1 (several times!) at home and have found
> that it is NOT easy to install.  Many of the utilities are older than
> versions supplied with Slackware or Redhat.  Examples:  Man uses More
> instead of Less as a pager (this can be fixed but debian's man does not
> support the 'rc file format that slackware uses).  LS does not support
> color (can be added but again debian does not support the same 'rc or
> enviromental settings found elseware).  Getting networking up was a real
> head scratcher as a network configuration program (such as supplied with
> slackware and redhat) does not exist and you must edit startup scripts by
> hand.  Yes a true sysadmin should know this stuff, but I had to find the
> answeres in a book on Slackware and translate to debians script format!  I
> like debians goals and style but it needs polish.  A good book on dpkg and
> dselect (along the read-ability lines of maximum RPM ) would help.

Okay, just a few responses to issues you raised.

1) Of course RedHat has newer programs, it was released when they were
available.  Debian 1.3.1 is old, but we've been tied up migrating
everything to glibc and it's taken longer than expected.  Debian releases
will happen more frequently after this.

2) Debian 2.0 will automagically select less for the pager when it is
available for most packages.  "Doesn't support slackware's format" is not
to be considered a bug.

3) alias ls='ls --color=auto --classify'

4) Okay, network config is a pain.  Some inroads have been made in that
region for Debian 2.0, I understand that we have a vastly improved PPP
config.  The install disks seem to do a good job of creating the network
config files, provided the correct information.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/