Re: intent to take mawk and gawk

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:

> > > If nobody objects, I intent to take mawk and gawk.
> >
> > I object.  I've talked with Christopher and I'm taking the
> > packages on a temporary basis (but as the real maintainer).
>
> I object to taking a package in secret without announcing it here first,
> as I did.
>
> Do we have the rules for taking an orphaned package?

Uh, first and foremost, mawk and gawk are *not* orphaned.  And what's
being done in secret?  I'm announced my intent in my previous message
to debian-devel (which you quote here).  Talking of doing things in
``secret'', did you communicate with the current maintainer of mawk
and gawk before announcing your intent to hijack them?

Also since when did we have restrictions on who maintainers passed
packages onto?  If I want to give ed to Martin Mitchell[1], I don't
expect for anyone to complain without extremely good reasons.  What
objections have you got to me maintaining mawk and gawk?

[1] Just an example, Martin doesn't want it, and I don't plan to give
it up RSN.

--
James