Re: Conflicts between developers and policy

Someone (I don't have the list archive handy here so I can't remember who)
said on the firewalls list recently that security policy (but I think it
also is valid for debian policy) should be regarded as a cache of good,
well thought out decisions.

Policy represents the collective wisdom of a lot of smart people who have
thought out some of the downstream consequences of doing particular things
and found that some ways of doing things are better than others. Thus
developers should follow policy for their own sakes, because it is likely
to work out better for them in the long run.

If a developer comes across a case where the policy is incorrect (leads to
consequences which are a Bad Thing) then they should not just ignore the
policy but try to explain their particular case and get the overall policy
updated for that case - thus ending up with a better policy and saving
someone else from having to go through the same process.

	John Lines