uncertain status -ideas and Questions

I have been using linux for a while now but as far as
Debian is concerned I am a "Relative"  newbie...
I have finnally gotten to that stage of waning to help out and
decided to register and take over a package that someone didn't
want.
Comming from this position I would like to say first that
debian has a great system put together (ittook me only hours
to figure out how to work wwith a pcakge and even
upgrad to a new version of the upstream source and get a
the package all ready to go - as a test it installed fine ad works
on my home system)
One place were i see lacking is in someof the documentation
not the technical side of how to package something...more
of how to get started.
I would like to see (and would definitly be willing to
work on or write) a more concise "gude" on how to get started...
not more than a page or two.,..more of a checklist than a
full blown guide.
Let me use my experiance here as an example...
i read over the packageing manual, glanced over the policy one,
read the DFSG (er whatevver those letters are...you know what I mean)
I found a package on the WNPP that I was interested in.
The actual process of everything tat needs to be done now is a
little hard to figure out...
I sent an e-mail to the currently listed maintainer (because I had
heard that this package was already taken but..not more than a rummor)
He said bsically that if I want itt its mine....
So i sent my e-mail to new-maintainer@debian.org with everything that
the guide says is needed...
I was unsuure of what to do from that point...so I started to work on
the package itself...pt my name in a maintainer in control
and upgraded the upstream source, and added to the
changelog (and a afew other thhings hardly worth menttioning..
pakcge specifics...BTW the package is xfstt )
Now I believe the package is all ready to go...
I was looking over the manual again...it mebntiones that to
find out the status on a package or to let you know of a new mantainer to
e-mail override-changes@debian.org ...so I did that also
hI have not recived any message back yet
(iee I am not yet registerdd as a maintainer with the ability
to upload yet...but there is an issue with theh ability yto verify I
am who i say I am...no scanner aailable so I will have to snailmail)
does it sound like I am doing this right?
it seems right buit with all of these things in differnt
areas of differt documents...maybe they should be cmpiled
into one sort of a "quick checklist" to make sure
someone who is new to the system (like myself) doesn't miss anything
also as I said...I iwould be happy to write somnmething like  that
up...once I have some idea what is correct
- -Steve