Re: first proposal for a new maintainer policy

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
> 	You do have a tendency to jump to untenable positions. Who
>  said that we shall remove all packages with bugs or all packages that
>  fail to follow policy?

You made an ambiguous statement. You made a statement about how policy
should have more "power", for instance without really saying what that
means.

If you don't like my proposed implementation of your statements, perhaps
you'd prefer to do so?

[Aside: I interpret your "You do have a tendency..." statement to mean
that I should have responded an earlier criticism of yours which I
thought had no merit. I'd really rather not waste the time of the other
debian developers on personal criticisms, but it looks like to achieve
this I'll have to discuss the one you raise point-by-point. *sigh*]

> Raul> Let's say someone writes a program which runs packages through a
> Raul> series of tests and reveals a bunch of policy violations in many
> Raul> packages. What does the iron-clad rule do for us here?

>  As with other bugs, we file bugs, and we can say that fix 'em, for
>  they violate policy. There is no debate as in "Show me where it says
>  we follow policy". And "Well, policy is bunkum anyway, I am closing
>  this report".

I don't understand why you think this is going to be a problem.

Frankly, I don't care to keep talking past you, so I'll stop here.

--
Raul