Re: PROPOSAL: Services, inetd and xinetd

        Hi

Andreas> take a look at r2d2, a tool written by winfried truemper.  it
Andreas> does exactly this : get rid of all init.d scripts for
Andreas> daemons, and offer a way to start them standalone, via inetd
Andreas> or via xinetd.

        I think you took me wrong [if not, just ignore next couple
paragraphs :)]. I'm not touching how service daemons are arranged, but
how the information on that services is made available to
/etc/services, inetd and xinetd, which is needed for the system to run
properly.

        I mean, if I install xinetd in favour of inetd, I want all my
old services back without I having to edit nothing, and if I install a
new package which provides an obscure *inetd based service not covered
in standard /etc/profile, then I want it to auto-setup it, as with menu
entries is done, not mattering if I switch back to inetd or stand on
xinetd, I want it to automatically be available to all inetd systems,
as well as on /etc/services.

        I'm also starting to think on portmap entries ...

Andreas> btw: in my opinion debian needs a general resource database
Andreas> (something like windows nt registry, but with a better,
Andreas> unixlike implementation).

        All unix flavours in general need something like that, but I
like the method actually used by Debian for these things [menu
entries, install info, etc ...]. It's easy, secure, reliable and
hand-fixable with a simple vi editor.

        Cheers

          Linux-USB! http://peloncho.fis.ucm.es/~inaky/USB.html -
                                                                -
                Inaky Perez Gonzalez --  PGP pubkey fingerprint -
           inaky@peloncho.fis.ucm.es -- 8E 34 3A 62 64 99 E2 44 -
   http://peloncho.fis.ucm.es/~inaky -- AD 7B 30 D9 DD FF 3E 4C -