Re: CERT* VB-98.04: Vulnerabilities in xterm and Xaw

On Tue, Apr 28, 1998 at 05:57:55PM +0200, A Mennucc wrote:

> > Vulnerabilities exist in the terminal emulator xterm(1), and the Xaw
> > library distributed in various MIT X Consortium; X Consortium, Inc.;
> > and The Open Group X Project Team releases. These vulnerabilities may
> > be exploited by an intruder to gain root access.
>
> the only solutions seems to
>
>   chmod 0755 `which xterm`

Or to apply a patch that TOG sent to their members, but didn't think to do
anything useful like include it in the alert itself. It's probably not free
anyway :(

Since a program as complicated as xterm is always likely to contain security
problems, we probably should leave it un-suid anyway, even once we have
patched it to fix the bugs mentioned.