Re: Licensing, was elvis package

> Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> wrote:
> > First of all, there is no distinction between static and dynamic
> > linkage from either Motif license or GPL point of view. (Well,
> > actually Motif has one restriction on distribution of statically
> > linked _shared_libraries_, for quite obvious reason - to prevent the
> > distribution of simple wrappers).
>
> The GPL has a clause that says you can only distribute a binary
> you got from compiling the program if you can do so in a fashion that
> all third parties can be licensed to do so at no charge.  Because
> dynamically linked motif doesn't give you a license to use the program
> unless you own a motif library, this is a distinction.

Not exactly. GPL says that I can distribute a binary if it's source code
of it and all of it parts (and libraries used) is available under GPL.
(With well-known exception for the OS code and parts shipped with OS as an
essential part)
Since Motif source is not available under GPL, whether it is dynamic and
static linkage doesn't matter.

Thanks.

Alex Y.

--