Re: Licensing (OFF-TOPIC)

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> It is perfectly legal, apparently, to have a GPLed program use (e.g.
> shell out to) a commercial piece of software. It has to be - to
> disallow this would be very stupid indeed. And indeed, the whole idea
> of have standard APIs for program communication (like SQL, although
> that's a bad example because there's no real standard for how to
> actually send the queries) is that, I, the user, can choose which
> programs (which RDBMS, for example) to use.

Then again, it's probably not legal to ship a GPL'd program which has
hard coded into it a system call that only works with proprietary
software.

It's legal to link GPL'd software against limited use, proprietary
software.  You just can't distribute it.

[Do we need a special list to discuss GPL copyright issues?  This
is getting out of hand.]

--
Raul