Re: Licensing, was elvis package

At 09:06 26-04-98 -0400, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
>> >My main point was this:  if the GPL has this clause about the
>> >components of a program being free, what with the large quantity of
>> >programs being Qtized, why haven't we seen any action?
>>
>> Probably because it's allowed, doesn't the FSF distribute emacs linked or
>> with the ability to link out of the box against Motif?
>>
>> Shaya
>
>Hi.
>
>Linking with Motif of GPL'd software only allowed on operating systems which
>get shipped with Motif as an essential part of it (like Solaris). Which means
>that linking with Motif on Linux is not allowed. (I asked RMS directly
>about that and received the above response). This leads to some kind of
>discrimination, IMHO, which prefered to be ignored by our DFSG zealots.

However, those systems, I believe, don't come with a Motif development
system out of the box (at least on HP-UX, cause a few years ago, I had
problems compiling mosaic, had to install the special Motif tape to each
system, after I installed the development environment).  So it can also be
viewed as, that they include the ability to link with Motif out of their
tarball, but most people can't compile/link the program with Motif out of
the box on their system.

Shaya