Re: Possible new name for "deity"

On Sun, Apr 26, 1998 at 05:02:14AM -0700, Darren/Torin/Who Ever... wrote:

> Anthony Fok, in an immanent manifestation of deity, wrote:
> >Actually, AFAIK, Mitsubishi stands for "Three Diamonds".  Mitsu is "three"
> >in Japanese, so I guess that means "bishi" is diamond.  :-)
>
> Yes, it's actually a geometric diamond as opposed to the stone...

Oh yeah, you are right!  :-)  (I almost forgot, even though the Chinese (or
Hanji or Kanji) version means Three Diamond (geometric).  :-)

> >(In Chinese, we call it "San Ling", i.e. Three Diamonds.  I wonder if it is
> >written the same way in both Chinese and Japanese.  :-)
>
> Other similar examples have been this way, so I suspect this one would
> be as well...

Neat stuff!  You know Japanese also?  :-)  (Of course, sometimes, two same
phrase/word in Chinese and Japanese sometimes mean something totally
different, because the usage has changed over the years or sometimes the
Japanese has adapted the words for other uses, etc.  :-)

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling        Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca     University of Alberta, Canada