Re: Licensing, was elvis package

On Fri, Apr 24, 1998 at 11:49:10PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> wrote:
> > So why haven't we seen this enforced, or has it happend but quietly?
> > I do note that there is no kemacs.., but there are things like
> > krpm.. hrm.. I'd have to look at the list, but... one would think that
> > at least RMS would enforce things under the FSF's protection.  So are
> > we missing something?
>
> If you'd manage to read the copyright on rpm, you'd see:
>
> (1) It's written by redhat, not fsf,

I know, it was just an example.

> (2) It's available both under GPL and LGPL.

Bad example, apparently.  There are plenty of others, I would assume.
Just popped into my head on the way out the door..

I guess I have learned my lesson about doing that:-(

My main point was this:  if the GPL has this clause about the
components of a program being free, what with the large quantity of
programs being Qtized, why haven't we seen any action?

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org