Re: Intent to package moxa radius

--On Fri, Apr 24, 1998 12:25 am +0000 "Rev. Joseph Carter"
<knghtbrd@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 1998 at 05:04:19PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Rev> It does that, but sometimes that is not always a good thing.
>> Rev> Take for example the libreadline library.  It is GPL, not LGPL.
>> Rev> In order to link this library which is somewhat standard (IMO at
>> Rev> least) your software must be GPL.  An example of this is ncftp
>> Rev> which was using it--that's a nono, even though it is a simple
>> Rev> shared library.  In this instance, the GPL actually hurt ncftp.
>>
>> 	On the contrary. This is an excellent point you  made. ncftp
>>  is now under GPL!! Yay! libreadline not being under LGPL worked!
>>  Hurrah!
>
> Um, 2.x is GPL.  3.x is not, afaik.

Certainly the version of 3 in hamm is not linked against readline, which
would suggest not.

In fact, it makes 3 in the hamm almost useless, IMHO - what is the use of
ncftp without history and completions?  They're the main reason I use it...

>> 	So, it is indeed a good thing. Maybe more software would
>>  become DFSG free if we were a little more pushy about it, like RMS
>>  has been being.
>>
>> 	I think it is about time we hardened our stance in favour of
>>  the GPL.
>
> Manoj, you're crazy, you realize that?  <sigh>  I happened to like 3
> better than 2 personally.  <shrug>  Ah well, one of my favorite programs
> is now free for the modding---someone wanna do slang version now?  =>

The GPL's not that good.  Here's an example from the Mac-side.  Internet
Config is a free program which centralises the users internet preferences
(mail-servers, email address, .sig, etc.).  Because it's free, it is used by
lots of commercial and pseudo-commercial (Netscape) apps.. and this is a
good thing.

If it had been GPLed, they wouldn't be able to distribute it.  Which would
be a bad thing.  Unless you really believe that commercial software has
absolutely no value or place...

Indeed, this line of reasoning is what caused the LGPL to be introduced,
surely?

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |