Re: Gnome debs?

Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> writes:

> In article <[🔎] m9b1zusccid.fsf@jocoque.cps.msu.edu> you wrote:
> > I checked, Debian and Red Hat were not compatible.  (e.g. libpng and
> > libjpeg have different sonames.)

> How did this happen? Shouldn't we try to rectify this ASAP so that there is
> binary compatibility?

One small correction: the libpng issue wasn't a soname problem,
RedHat's libpng.so wasn't explicitly linked against libz.so, so Debian
programs _might_ not run on RedHat (without an LD_PRELOAD), but RedHat
programs run fine on Debian.

The soname issues are with libjpeg, libgdbm, libncurses.

      Debian            Redhat
  ==============     ============
  libjpeg.so.6a      libjpeg.so.6
  libgdbm.so.1       libgdbm.so.2
  libncurses.so.3.4  libncurses.so.3.0

One other problem is that libcompface is static on Red Hat and dynamic
on Debian, but this library is rarely used.  (All of these were
discovered when I tried to move a "stow" tree of XEmacs Beta 20.5 from
a Debian system to a Red Hat system.)

For now, most of these issues can be resolved by using symlinks. But
sonames should be synchronized with Red Hat in the future.

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu