Re: Gnome debs?

David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 1998 at 03:13:24PM -0400, shaleh@clifford.livenet.net wrote:

> > GNOME is currently not very stable and things are changing very
> > rapidly.  Jim Pick is the GNOME guy for Debian.  Give it a few more
> > weeks and I think you will see more.

> The thing I was wondering about is getting support in their build
> scripts for debs.  Every morning they get some rpm's generated
> automatically.  I was wondering if it might be feasible to do this to
> make some debs too, or if it would be just a waste of time:-/

CVS the relevent gnome packages to your system.  Add a /debian tree to
each package.  Write a script that does a cvs update of each dir, a
debian/rules build in each dir, and puts the packages up for ftp.  Put
the script in a cron job and you have it.

There doesn't need to be support in their build scripts for DEBs,
AFAIK the rpms are built by a third party, I don't even see any .spec
files in the CVS tree.

Either way, the people who build the RPMs can't build DEB files.  Last
I checked, Debian and Red Hat were not compatible.  (e.g. libpng and
libjpeg have different sonames.)

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu