Re: License advice

On Thu, Apr 23, 1998 at 06:20:21PM +0200, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>   >On Thu, Apr 23, 1998 at 09:53:54AM +0200, jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:
>   >> As far as I can tell this license is DFSG-free; please let me know if you
>   >> disagree.
>   >
>   >This is weird, especially because of point 3. He means the right thing, but
>   >he doesn't mention modification, redistribution of modificated versions and
>   >selling.
>
> He says anyone can use it for any purpose!  That includes everything
> you mention.  All he's asking is that people say if they have altered
> it from his original version.  I can't see any problem.

I know what he wants to say, and I understand that. However, the word "use"
is very well undefined, and I don't know how the court would see it. The
general consens seems to be that "use" does not imply everything I said.
The "use" of software is probably only running and, well, "using" it.

I'm not a lawyer, so this is no legal advice. But I would really recommend
you to get a better copyright from the author, especially as he seems to
want to share the code.

Marcus