Re: autoconf problem

Andreas Tille <tille@physik.uni-halle.de> writes:

> On 22 Apr 1998, Brederlow wrote:
>
> > Do you look at ~/ ? Maybe ~/.tedy.xpm should be used if present. :)
> That seems me a little bit oversized.  To make it more clear what I want to
> do:
>
> xteddy needs four files:
>      NAME_bw.xbm     -> gray if libXpm isn't available
>      NAME_color.xpm  -> the nice Teddy if NAME==xteddy
>      NAME_icon.xbm   -> an icon
>      NAME_mask.xbm   -> the mask shape
>
> My new version of xteddy can be called via
>
>      xteddy -F<NAME> ...
>
> If no `-F` parameter is given name equals to xteddy.  You have to place

You should take $0 (the 0 parameter), which equals to the programm
name as <NAME> if no name is given. That way one can have a xteddy
programm for the teddy and a xpenguin (link to xteddy) for the
penguin. The same binary can thus be reused. Thats how gzip, gunzip
and zcat work (as well as others).

> this four files for one pixmap to show instead of xteddy
>      1. in the current directory
>      2. in the directory defined via PIXMAP_PATH at compile time
> May be it makes sense to look for a further PATH to overwrite PIXMAP_PATH
> at runtime via environment variable.  --- Do you think that this makes
> sense?

The users home should be added to that list. I would place my private
tedy there and I dont want to cd there just to start teddy.

> How to get the PIXMAP_PATH right, if no --prefix option was given
> when invoking configure?  (This was the initial question which is
> importand for other packages which I intend to package, too.)

I don't know. In all I did so far the --prefix wasnt used for some
paths and when no prefix was given /usr/local/ was default.

> Which is the appropriate directory for such kind of files after
> FNS (to make the package right for slink)?

No clue again, I'm just starting to read the policy file while I'm
aplying for a maintainer key.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn