Re: bzip2 for source packages?

James Troup writes:
 > Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@law.miami.edu> writes:
 >
 > > Might I suggest that using it for source packaging would be
 > > appropriate, though?
 >
 > By recompressing things in bzip2, you lose the ability to use pristine
 > upstream source (since the vast majority of source stills comes in
 > .tar.gz form).

If I'm not mistaken, the main reason for pristine sources is to be
able to md5-check the source archive.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Then it could be possible to list in .dsc the md5, size, and filename
for the .tar file instead of the compressed-tar file's.

This would allow arbitrary (as long as supported by dpkg-source)
compression tools to be used.  Let's say .bz2 files on ftp sites, and
.gz files on CD's ?

--
Yann Dirson  <ydirson@a2points.com>      | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
alt-email:     <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>      |     support Debian GNU/Linux: