LyX and gtk+ [was: Re: fltk and XForms compliance]

mbaker@iee.org (Mark Baker) writes:

> On Fri, Apr 17, 1998 at 11:56:02AM +0100, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
>
> > > That will be a problem with lyx as the upstream side is thinking about a
> > > switch anyway, but qt is the leading candidate there.
> >
> > Someone should tell them about GTK, now that version 1.0 has been released.
> > A little bit of info about the distribution problems they will face if
> > the choose Qt
>
> Unfortunately they've already chosen Qt. And done all the work to port it.
>
> Have a look at http://www-pu.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/users/ettrich/klyx.html
>
> It's a shame he chose to use a non-free toolkit, as klyx looks very nice.

Careful please! "They" (if you meant the upstream LyX developers) have
since very long chosen to implement the next major LyX release
toolkit-independent allowing others to put any GUI on top based on
whatever toolkit they like.  Matthias Ettrich and Kalle Dalheimer have
only ported LyX to KDE without consulting the LyX team first and
without taking into account any toolkit independence considerations.
They were obviously mostly interested to get something out fast for
the KDE project. This is not necessarily bad from a KDE centric
perspective, but maybe not necessarily good from the point of view of
an overall toolkit independence.

In any case there is already someone who is interested in working with
the LyX team to get out a gtk+ version for the GNOME project. His name
is de Dirk Luetjens <dirk@luedi.oche.de> and it seems that he is a
Debian user as well. People who would like to help him shouldn't
hesitate in contacting him.  Here is Dirks message on the LyX mailing
list with his announcement: