Re: dictd and wordnet

Jean Pierre LeJacq <jplejacq@quoininc.com> wrote:
> Actually, /usr/share/dict.  Shouldn't new package be constructed from
> the start to use FHS?

     IIRC, it is intended to implement the FHS with symlinks
initially.  Until a definite announcement is made regarding the policy
for implementing the FHS, I expect to continue following the FSSTND.

> What format are these files in?  Are they ASCII?  The reason I ask is
> that I'm the maintainer of the cracklib package that uses lists of
> words to prevent the selection of easily guessed passwords.  If the
> wordnet database is in a suitable format, it may make an excellect
> source or words for cracklib.

     The wordnet database is ASCII.  The wordnet packages have been
orphaned, but you can download the wordnetbase_1.5-1 sources from
debian/project/orphaned/ on the mirrors.   The dictionary databases
for the dict program, which I am packaging, are compressed in .dz
format.  This is close enough to .gz that zless can read it.  The
sources are ASCII after extracting from the tarball.  They may be
obtained from ftp.cs.unc.edu/pub/users/faith/dict or
ftp.dict.org/pub/dict.

Bob
--
   _