Re: *** The Upcoming Release of Hamm ***

> > So, when will Hamm be released?  You decide.  It's up to the devolpers
> > to set the date by fixing the problems that are currently holding up
> > the release.  As soon as the last release-necessary bug gets closed or
> > downgraded, we'll probably be ready to ship.
>
> Brian: I would like to have an exception mechanism so that bugs which
> cannot be fixed before release and which you determine not to be
> necessary to be fixed can be ignored without having to downgrade them.
>
> For example, you downgraded the dpkg dependency calculation problem
> (#1797) from `grave' to `normal' by someone.  It is definitely grave
> (as defined), but I agree we should not hold up the release of bo for
> it.
>
> This can probably be done by just having you maintain a small
> exception list.

Yeah.  I always figured this was going to have to be done.  Unfortunately
it weakens the importance some maintainers will put on the bug because
they figure "I'll just get it excluded..."

To counter this, I'm not even going to take recommendations for this list
until the system is otherwise ready to ship.  And then I'll only allow
it in cases where it really wasn't possible to fix the bug in the time
given.  It's a wishy-washy/touchy-feeling kind of judgement, which I
truely hate because it isn't "obvious" to everyone else, but I think
it's the only way.  My advice to anyone who's thinking their bug will
get included on that list:  don't count on it.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )