Re: Anyone want to make a Debian XDM login screen?

david@elseware.cistron.nl (David A. van Leeuwen) wrote:

> I'd opt for a `shutdown' button on the XDM login screen.

> Right now there isn't a simple way of bringing the machine down---as
> far as i know.  Even ctrl-alt-del doesn't work in XFree86.

> Of course, care should be taken that this can be done only from the
> console---if necessary, only after typing a shutdown password.

There is an easy way to get this button on your screen, assuming that you
have the TCL/TK packages installed.

Add the following seven lines to /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0:

/usr/bin/wish <<EOF &
wm geometry . +0-0
button .halt   -text Halt   -command {exec shutdown -h now}
button .reboot -text Reboot -command {exec shutdown -r now}
pack .halt .reboot -side left
EOF
echo $! > /var/run/xdmbutton.pid

and add the following line to /etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup_0:

if test -r /var/run/xdmbutton.pid; then kill `cat /var/run/xdmbutton.pid`; fi

This will pop up two buttons in the lower left corner of your screen.  The
"Halt" button will shut down your system, while the "Reboot" button will
reboot (useful if you also have Windows 95 *yuck* on your computer).

In my opinion, this is much more useful than Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

Brian