Re: dpkg memory usage

In article <[🔎] E0yPVfh-00079I-00@chiark.greenend.org.uk> you wrote:
> I also intend to change the format of the /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list
> database to make it faster to load, and I may change
> /var/lib/dpkg/status too.  (The resulting structures will still be
> editable with emacs.)

I've written a Regina REXX program to run some comparisons
between the dpkg/status file and current Packages (+non-free,
contrib, nonus) files. It currently shows which files need
updating, misconfigured packages, shows a deb's paragraph from
the Packages file. I think it would be useful to others. Would
anyone like to have a look at it and give me some feedback?

I have a few questions.

Is the status file likely to change radically? Or the Packages
format?

Which program updates /var/lib/dpkg/available? I've been making
a Packages file by catting together all the Packages files
(non-free, ...) and putting the file in /tmp.

Can I, as root, make the dpkg/available file from this catted file
without screwing the package management up?

Thanks.

Rick