Re: Are we shipping 2.0 with ipmasq in the default kernel?

On Tue 14 Apr 1998, Alex Yukhimets wrote:

> > > scratch yesterday, it was some pain: I requested ipmasq package to be
> > > installed (among other 800 or so things :) and when it asked me how to
> > > configure itself, I had no idea how to answer the questions it asked - like
> > > the IP of external interface- how do I know, it is a ppp dialup! So, I left
> > > the answers blank. As a result, after reboot my system had ALL the networking
> > > forbidden. Purging the package helped, but I had to spend quite a few minutes
> > > figuring out what's going on.
> >
> > Find the IP Masq HOWTO and make use of same.  It'll save you LOTS of pain.

That's not much use when you're in the middle of configuring the ipmasq
package.

> The thing is that I had a prefectly working IPmasq setup, with rules
> changed in ip-up and ip-down. I just wanted to give a try of ipmasq _package_.
> And configuration script does _not_ take into account the possibility of
> external interface with dynamic IP. OK, if this package is not for people with
> dial-up then description should mention that and at least postinst should

I fully agree here. I set up a box recently which was to function as an
internet gateway, and installed the ipmasq package (as IP masquerading
would be needed, and this package sounded like the right thing).

However, ipmasq simply does _not_ work when using (a) dialup access and
(b) dynamic IP addresses. This was not clear when installing the
package. In fact, it took me quite some digging to find out that bogus
rules created by ipmasq were responsible. I ended up ripping it out and
manually putting stuff in /etc/ppp/ip-{up,down}.d/.  I'd have expected
the ipmasq package to do it similarly, but it simply defines some rules
in rc2.d.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl