Re: Is this a bug in libc6?

On 11-Apr-98, 18:35 (CDT), Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@worldvisions.ca> wrote:

> > [Re: fclose() manpage]
> > Nope, you're reading that backwards. It says that if fclose() returns EOF_
> > _and _errno_ = _EBADF_, then that means that the stream is not
> > open.
>
> You people are being unbelievably pedantic.

But that's what standards readers live for :-).

> However, when I read the manpage, I found it quite unclear.  If I didn't
> know better, I would think that double-fclose()ing a file was okay.
>
> The bug is not in libc, it's in the manpage.  Fix the manpage.

Hmmm, maybe I've been doing this too long; it never occured to me that
the man page implied that anything other than what I posted above. I
think if you're going to do that, you might at well report the same
bug against the man pages for all the libc functions for which it is
possible to pass an invalid argument. Or at least all the ones that take
arguments with properties similar to FILE * (which I'm not sure I can
define in any useful way, but I know one when I see one).

steve