Re: boot-floppies package

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:

: On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Nathan E Norman wrote:
:
: > Hello,
: >
[ snip ]
: If all you need to do is put a different kernel on the rescue floppy
: (which is what it sounds like) simply take the delivered image, mount it,
: and copy the kernel image from your custom package (the vmlinuz file) to
: the file "linux" on the mounted image.
:
: You can either dd the image to a floppy, mount the floppy (msdos) and copy
: the kernel, or you can mount the image file with one of the loop devices
: and do the replacement to the image file. Any future copies of that image
: file will have the new kernel.

Yes, I know this.  However, what people have been asking for is an image
of the rescue disk, not a new kernel for the disk (it is difficult to
run rdev.sh if you have no Linux system handy)

Furthermore, it might become necessary to change the available modules
(I honestly don't know whether this is the case), and I don't believe
the rescue disk has device files for ESDI disks.  They are /dev/ed[ab],
correct?  Vincent Renardias says the 1.3 boot disks support MCA (they
do) and ESDI (I never found /dev/ed[ab] devices).  No Debian boot disk
supports IBM MCA/SCSI afaik.

Finally, I'd really like to *know* how to build these things!  Why is it
so opaque?

Thanks,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104