Re: intent to package: coda (+ copyright question)

> I think it's clear the intent is to say that CMU is legally distributing AFS.
> the terms under which CMU is distributing it are as stated above and are DFSG
> compliant. I think that's all we're concerned with: the terms under which our
> users can use, modify, and distribute the software.
>
> So IBM owns the copyright, they gave CMU the right to distribute their code
> under the above terms, and we received the software under those terms from
> CMU.

OK, that's what I thought they were trying to say as well, though it
didn't appear clear to me. I guess I can put it into main then.

> Actually the situation is a little more convoluted than that. AFS was
> originally developped at CMU. Some students started a comany to develop and
> market it, to which CMU gave the rights to AFS with the proviso that CMU have
> the rights mentioned above. Later IBM bought this company, so we end up with
> the above strange situation.

Oh, I know quite a bit about AFS and DFS. Even had a guy from Transarc try
to sell it to me at my previous job. Hopefully Coda can become all that
AFS never managed (yes, I'm probably dreaming...)

Regards,
/Anders

Anders Hammarquist   |       Mud at Kingdoms        | iko@netg.se
NetGuide Scandinavia |   telnet kingdoms.se 1812    | Fax: +46 31 50 79 39
http://www.netg.se   |                              | Tel: +46 31 50 79 40