Re: intent to package: coda (+ copyright question)

Anders Hammarquist <iko@iko.pp.se> writes:
> This  file  contains  some  code identical to or derived from the 1986
> version of the Andrew File System ("AFS"), which is owned by  the  IBM
> Corporation.    This  code is provded "AS IS" and IBM does not warrant
> that it is free of infringement of  any  intellectual  rights  of  any
> third  party.    IBM  disclaims  liability of any kind for any damages
> whatsoever resulting directly or indirectly from use of this  software
> or  of  any  derivative work.  Carnegie Mellon University has obtained
> permission to distribute this code, which is based on Version 2 of AFS
> and  does  not  contain the features and enhancements that are part of
> Version 3 of AFS.  Version 3 of  AFS  is  commercially  available  and
> supported by Transarc Corporation, Pittsburgh, PA.

I think it's clear the intent is to say that CMU is legally distributing AFS.
the terms under which CMU is distributing it are as stated above and are DFSG
compliant. I think that's all we're concerned with: the terms under which our
users can use, modify, and distribute the software.

So IBM owns the copyright, they gave CMU the right to distribute their code
under the above terms, and we received the software under those terms from
CMU.

Actually the situation is a little more convoluted than that. AFS was
originally developped at CMU. Some students started a comany to develop and
market it, to which CMU gave the rights to AFS with the proviso that CMU have
the rights mentioned above. Later IBM bought this company, so we end up with
the above strange situation.

greg