Re: base-files 1.6 (source all) uploaded to master

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:

> Well, this is what I use it for myself. I use PS1='\h:\w\$ ' for an
> ordinary user and PS1='\u@\h:\w\$ ' for root. Rationale: I'm root only
> in my machine (as most Debian users, I think) and therefore when I'm
> "sanvila" I am not usually interested in the username.
>
> However, I'm willing to set default root's prompt in base-files to
> '\h:\w\$ ' if enough people prefer it to '\u@\h:\w\$ '.

i prefer '\u@\h \w\$ '.

username in the prompt is very useful.  root has to su to several
different uids in order to do certain types of maint....e.g. su postgres,
su uucp, su news.

working directory in the prompt is essential.  how else can you keep track
of where each one of dozens of different shells are?

hostname is vital.  anyone working on more than one machine knows this.

FWIW, i don't care too much what's in the default anyway. I always
copy in ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_profile, and my own ~/.bash-aliases (which
is sourced by .bashrc) onto every new machine i build. i also edit
/etc/profile to what i want it to be....PATH, MANOPT, EDITOR, LESSPIPE
and others.

whatever the debian default is, it's NOT going to be what i need because
what i need probably isn't what other people need, and vice-versa.

btw, a couple of useful aliases:

alias savealias='alias >~/.bash-aliases'
alias loadalias='. ~/.bash-aliases'

i create aliases interactively at the shell prompt and run savealias
whenever i have a good new one i want to keep. loadalias is only there
so i can easily load newly created aliases into already running bash
xterms.

craig

--
craig sanders