Re: base-files 1.6 (source all) uploaded to master

On Tue, Apr 07, 1998 at 08:39:40PM -0700, Guy Maor wrote:
> gsstark@mit.edu (Gregory S. Stark) writes:

> > Am I the only one who thinks the only correct prompts would be '$ ' and '# '?
> > Barring that I suggest leaving the defaults, 'bash$' et. al.

> You're not the only one.  I also prefer to leave the defaults.

> Any prompt in /etc/profile would be overridden by 99% of the users
> anyway so what's the point?

The point is new users. I can't imagine how it cuold hurt anyone to
see where they are. It makes working a million times easier, if you
can see all the time where you are. The first thing I allways do when
installing debian to a friend is setting the the prompt in /etc/profile.
Why should specifically make it hard for new users to get accustemed
with Debian?

Riku