Re: Guile question: What was bug #14213???

karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:

>  The changelog lists only a bug number, with no description of what
>  the bugs were.  They are no longer in the bug tracking system.

You are hitting on one of my pet peeves - we should have a perpetual
bug archive for closed bugs.

>  Can you explain why you couldn't compile with threads or dynamic
>  linking?

It was a co-ordination issue with the Gnome package - I don't think
Gnome would compile when threads were included.  I didn't know what to
do to make it work (when using guile) - and there is no documentation.

I think thread support and dynamic-linking in 1.2 are experimental -
so I think it's fair to leave it out.  Everything seems to work when
those are left out.  I assume Guile 1.3 will be a big improvement.

> I'm putting together a guile-core snapshot package, perhaps
>  for release if I feel like I have it under control.  It will come
>  with the guile-scsh too, I hope.  That should be good for gnome. :-)

Cool.  Say, if you are going to to do that, do you want to take over
the guile package?  You can have it, as there should only be one guile
maintainer, IMHO.

>  I've Cc'd debian-devel to show others what can happen when we don't
>  put proper detail into the changelogs.  The bug number alone is no
>  good; the tracking system purges them after a period of time, so the
>  only record is in the changelog or CVS logs (which are more difficult
>  for others to get at, obviously.)

I don't think the changelog is the place to give full-blown bug
descriptions.  They can be very hard to describe at times.  A little
hint as to what the bug was in this place would have been nice - but
I'm not sure I could have described what the bug was in under ten
lines of description.

> guile (1.2-3) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   * Removed --with-threads and --enable-dynamic-linking options
>     (should fix #14213, 14214 - Thanks John Goerzen)
>   * Added ldconfig to postinst
>     Fixes Bug #41212 - Thanks Jogn Goerzen
>
>  -- Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com>  Wed, 29 Oct 1997 22:27:48 -0800

Hmmm - I can't remember the details of #14213, #14214 - I should have
a copy on my machine, but I think I must have filed in into the wrong
mail folder.  :-(

> karlheg, who aspires to understand the implementation of Scheme someday.

Read the Wizard book (SICP).  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim