Re: Immutable flag and packages

On Mon, Apr 06, 1998 at 07:43:14PM -0600, bear@coyotesong.com wrote:

> > If the securelevel is greater than zero, the immutable and append_only
> > flags can't be altered.
>
> Ah, some of the earlier comments now make a lot more sense.  That also
> explains why "man -k securelevel" was remarkably uninformative.
>
> Again, I'm forced to ask if forcing the system into a somewhat idle
> mode before changing critical files is a Bad Thing.  As a rough
> approximation, perhaps a "secure" installation should default to
> immutable for the executables in /sbin, /usr/sbin and /bin, but not
> /usr/bin.  A "paranoid" installation would set all package executables
> to immutable.
>
> Bear Giles
> bear@coyotesong.com

Sorry, I can't resist to give you another 2c from mine.

The main reason why I say that immutable should not be toggle by dpkg is
because

1) Newbie will ask "why I can't removed file X? I do all that they say
in the *Linux is Great - 101 Book* (hoping not to enfrange any
copyright here).

2) If, as a SysAdmin, I decided to put some file immutable, I
certainly don't want a program like dpkg (whom task is package
maintenance, not security administration) make it obseleted because
it, it changed it. Even, maybe I set it immutable because I don't want
dpkg to changed it!

Briefly, most people don't need it or will misused it (see the pgp
manual about false security impression) and people who really need it,
don't need dpkg to bother with them.

All IMHO.

Fabien Ninoles
E-mail: fab@tzone.org
WebPage: http://www.callisto.si.usherb.ca/~94246757
You can get my public key from your nearest public keys server!
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70